Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Thomas Jefferson quotes: "I tremble for my country . . . God is just"

"God who gave us life gave us liberty.  Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?  Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever."

So said Thomas Jefferson.  If he felt that God's judgment was so imminent then, where do we stand now.  Following are some more great quotes by Mr. Jefferson.   

"Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing."

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"Never spend your money before you have it."

"I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it."

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."

"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens."


I wish we could hear more politicians boldly saying good stuff like this.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...