Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rare and precious Humility

Humility is not thinking little of oneself, but not thinking of oneself.
             - Guide Lamps for God's Lambs by Mary Durren

Humility is perfect quietness of heart.  It is to have no trouble.  It is never to be fretted, or vexed, or irritated, or sore.  It is to expect nothing, to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to feel nothing done against me.  It is to be at rest when nobody praises me, and when I am blamed or despised.   It is to have a blessed home in the Lord, where I can go in and shut the door, and kneel to my Father in secret, and am at peace as in a deep sea of calmness, when all around and above is trouble.   -  By Andrew Murray, found in "The Voice in the Wilderness" and on our pastor's wife's blog, Gayle's Blog. 

In theology, humility consists in lowliness of mind; a deep sense of one's own unworthiness in the sight of God, self-abasement, penitence for sin, and submission to the divine will.  
Before honor is humility. Prov 15.
Serving the Lord with all humility of mind. Acts 20.
   - From Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...