Saturday, April 30, 2011

God encouraged me today with this verse

God just gave me just what I needed today.  I have been feeling so overwhelmed, tired, discouraged, and sad.  There have been a bunch of problems . . . . normal problems that we all have in life, problems that always get better tomorrow.  To top it all off, today I haven't been feeling the smile of God.  I know, f-e-e-l-i-n-g-s we can't trust them; circumstances and feelings change with the wind, but at the time it still feels real.  I went walking to find my dear wife some medicine since she has been sick the last couple of days, and I decided to read while walking.  The first page I read was this:
"Rise and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness . . . to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."   Acts 26:16,18
It was as if God was speaking to me saying, "Now get up and stand on your feet, there are people who need to be saved and sanctified, but you need to quit wallowing around in sadness so you can get something done."  I started crying blessed because God would care enough for me to give me a quick swat on the rear and say, "Get over it.  How can I use you moping around like this."  So I decided to look at the possibilities through faith . . . no, the probabilities. 
This makes me think of two quotes which let me know I have it SOOO easy:
"I live poorly with regard to the comforts of this life: most of my diet consists of boiled corn. . . . I lodge on a bundle of straw; my labor is . . . extremely difficult; and I have little appearance of success to comfort me . . . . But that which makes all my difficulties grievous to be borne is, that God hides his face from me."  -David Brainerd
"If any ask what success I meet with among the natives? -- tell them to look at Otaheite, where the missionaries labored nearly twenty years, and not meeting with slightest success, began to be neglected by all the Christian world . . . Tell them to look at Bengal also, where Dr. Thomas has been laboring seventeen years . . . before the first convert, Krishno, was Baptized.  When a few converts are made, things move on.  But it requires a much longer time than I have been here, to make an impression . . . "  - Adoniram Judson  

2 comments:

Beth said...

I very much appreciated this post and the one before it "The Royal Wedding". Thank you so much for sharing. Thank you for your prayers for our family.

sherryldickinson said...

What an interesting and encouraging post, Phillip! This post is as down to earth as can be, as it is right where all of us live...feelings, faith, facts. And yes, I too am looking past possibilities into the realm of probabilities.
These days I feel like a soldier in training in boot camp, and each day of life is not easy. But I pray that Jesus will help me to BE a soldier of the cross, while I am in training.
I've been enjoying every post you've made on this blog!
Love,
Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...