Sunday, May 1, 2011
A New Twist to Peanut Butter and Jam
FRESH STRAWBERRY BARS
prep: 25 min. bake: 25 min. oven: 350F yields: 24 bars
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
(I put only one cup of brown sugar and it was yummy)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup strawberry jam
4 cups small whole strawberries, halved or quartered
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Line 13x9x2 with foil, extending foil beyond edges. Grease foil and set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl beat butter and peanut butter on med. to high for 30 seconds.
Beat in sugars, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour.
3. Spread dough in prepared pan. Bake 25 mins. or until top is lightly browned and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
4. Cool completely on rack.
5. Remove from pan by lifting foil. (I flopped it out of the foil on to a serving tray.)
6. Spread jam and top with berries. Cut into bars. Serve at once or refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
TO MAKE AHEAD Wrap the Peanut butter base in foil; store at room temp up to 24 hous. Before serving, top with jam and berries.